2D Game design Assignment 3:
Playtest a game
Due:For grads this project is due at the final.
Now its time to put skills you learned by tearing apart games in the
last two projects to use. Take a physical prototype of a game and
Details:Each student will be randomly assigned a prototype of
a game that was designed by a previous student in the class. That the
prototype, read it, examine it, and play it. but don't destroy it
because I'll need them back.
As you play it consider
After playing through a couple of times and recording the above data,
Write a paper about your experiences. Your paper should include
- what is the core game play that is set out
- what seems fun? What seems not fun
- keep in mind that these are prototypes for games that were
intended to be computer games, so not everything will be as automated
as it should have been
- what are the formal structures of the game?
- what is the objective?
- what are the player interaction patterns
- what are the system dynamics of the game?
- how does the designer seem to want it to work?
- does it work that way?
- what is missing?
- did you need to fill anything in in order to play it?
- note that missing fluff isn't important here
Bring the paper with you to class on the day it is due along with the game prototype.
- An introduction briefly describing the game
- An evaluation of the playtesting experience addressing all of the considerations listed above.
- A brief conclusion of the game play and your thoughts on implementing this game.