Final Robotics Project:
Due: Demo at the beginning of the
final (Dec 16th), Paper due by 10am Friday Dec 18th
Base-3 Bar Code:
are going to turn your robot into a simplified bar code scanner.
- In this project you will finish your robotics project series with a
simple sensors project (as if there is anything ever simple about
- Your robot will need to interpret sensor data and integrate data
from multiple sensors to build a rough picture of what is going on in
will be working with a simple base-3 code. Each "barcode" will have 4 base
three digits. Each digit will therefore be one of three possibilities
- '0' represented by no bar.
- '1' represented by a single width bar.
- '2' represented by a double width bar.
Single width bars of background colors will separate digits. Your robot
must begin at one end of the bar and traverse the bar code. At the far end
of the bar code it will have to display the number it read in some way
(binary with .
Each bar code will begin with a single with bar which will be defined as
the zeros place. The bar code will then have a single width space of the
background color followed by the bar (possibly empty - see below) for the
1s place. The one's place will be followed by a single width space
followed by the three's place and so on.
If a digit has a zero in it, then there will be a single width background
colored space in place of a foreground colored line. This background space
will of course be surrounded by a the two single width background
You'll need to write a short paper for each robot project. This second
paper will still likely be short (2ish pages). The format should be
- Introduction: What is this project all about?
- Hardware design: how was your robot made? Were there any earlier
revisions of the hardware? Is there anything you wish you knew when
- Software design: how was your robot programmed? Were there any
earlier revisions of the software? Is there anything you wish you knew
when you started?
- Summary and analysis of your robot's performance at the demo. Did
your designs work in testing? How well. What would you have changed if
you had just a little more time.
The paper is due the meeting after the demo.