Game Design Project 2: Break the game
Due: One week from assignment. Tuesday Oct 27th for grads, Thurs Oct 29th for undergrads.
Do Exercise 5.4 from your book with a board game. Then write up the results.
The writeup should contain the following items in a formal paper
format. By formal paper format I mean paragraphs, full proper grammer
and formal written English, stripped of the informalities of spoken
English. Make your paper double spaced so that I can write comments.
- Briefly describe the game giving a link for more information as in project1
- Describe each of the object, property and relationship changes that you/your group made.
- Describe the gameplay experience.
- Describe your repetitions and additional trials
- Describe how the game finally became unplayable
- Answer the questions from the exercise, What was the crucial
change that you made, why do you think that change finally broke the
Because board games generally require multiple players, you may work in groups with the following restrictions.
- You may work in pairs to create your writeup, however your
writing partner cannot be the same one you worked with for the previous
- Up to two writing groups (pairs or solo) can make the same game
alterations and playtest together. (up to four people playing together
with a shared set of alterations.) People who worked together on
project 1 may be part of the the two pairs working together on this
- eg. Person A and person be worked together for project 1. They
may not write together, but person A and Person X could write together
and Person B and person Y could write together and the four of them
could get together to modify, break and play the game.