2D Game design Assignment 3:
Design a game
Now its time to put skills you learned by tearing apart games in the last two projects to use. Design 2d
computer/electronic game and build a physical prototype for the game.
You need to design and prototype a 2d game. Do not worry about
designing one that can be implemented, some may be implemented, but it
is unlikely that anyone will be implementing their own design in this
class. Design something that you think would be fun. Then prototype it
and play with it a bit to refine your ideas and make them workable.
Each of you will recieve a 2 gallon zippered storage bag. Please place
your writeups and prototypes in the bag. Write your name on the bag.
Please do not use any expensive parts for this prototype as I will keep
these to use as exemplars for both future classes and accredidation
review. You with own the copywrite to your original work, but by
turning it in for this assignment, you assign me the rights to use them
for the above two mentioned purposes.
When you submit, your bag should contain:
Please be sure to come up with your own game. I will feel free to look
up many games both foreign and domestic so come up with your own rather
than trying to pass something off which already exists. If you are
going with a game from an existing genre (first person shooter or
sports game etc,) tell me what features distinguish your game from the
games already out there.
- your prototype
- please use a paper clip to clip together paper pieces - particularly small ones.
- this should contain everything needed to play through core game mechanics
- your writeup in which you should
- describe your game
- including core gameplay
- lay out the rules of the game
- describe your prototyping process.
- how does the prototype work to simulate game play?
- what did you miss when you first envisioned your game?
- what did you need to add after trying things out?
- what sorts of things will this physical prototype not be able to inform you about? (which you need to know for this game)