MATH 113: Misleading Charts Discussion Questions
If you're assigned a pair of charts:
- Do the charts display the same data?
- What are the differences between the charts?
- Which chart do you think best illustrates the "big picture"? Why?
- How are the charts misleading?
- What false assumptions could arise from the misleading charts?
- Bonus: Give a quantitative answer to the previous question. For example "a 100% difference in candy collection is magnified to look like a 300% difference because of the increase in area".