MATH 113: Volumes of Three Dimensional Objects
In solving this "real world problem" you will use the volume formulas you just learned and also apply what you know about measurement, unit conversion, estimation, and problem solving.
How many cups of ice cream could there be in the cone shown on the right? Use what you have learned about measurement, unit conversion, estimation, problem solving and volume to come up with an approximate answer.
Your answer might be about 2 pages long, hand written. It should include:
- (10 points) A description of your plan for calculating the volume of the cone.
- (10 points) Appropriate figures or other descriptions of what is being calculated at each step.
- (40 points) Mathematically correct volume calculations.
- (20 points) Readable explanation of the calculations.
- (10 points) Correct units throughout the calculations.
- (10 points) A brief discussion of how accurate you believe your answer to be.