Pizza Party Project
Objective: to explore the learning opportunities possible in planning a pizza party.
Plan a pizza party for your class. In particular, you'll need to decide:
- How many students are in the class?
- How much pizza will each student eat?
- How much pizza should you order?
- Where will you order from?
- How will you choose which toppings to order?
- What toppings will you order?
- What's the "best deal" you can get -- large or small pizzas? Free soda?
- How much will it cost?
- How will you split the cost of the pizza?
What math topics and skills are used in this project?
How might you use this project in your class?
- Is it feasible to have a pizza party in your class?
- Are you more interested in computing price per square inch,
collecting statistics on favorite toppings, using pizza pies to
discuss fractions, or voting on pizza places?
- Would you use this as an ongoing project in which students
research pizza prices, design charts, and give reports on relative
prices then vote on a solution and order pizza, or would you make it a
question on a quiz?
At Campus Pizza and Subs in Bridgewater, prices for pizza in fall 2003