- Do you plan to teach middle or high school in the future?
Middle School: 1
High School: 8
Undecided or Other: 5
- Approximately how many hours/years of classroom teaching have you observed?
Answers ranged from "none" to "3 years". Most students have 40 to 60 hours.
- Approximately how many hours/years of classroom teaching experience do you have?
Some students have no teaching experience, some have many years.
- Which areas of mathematics do you feel confident in teaching?
Almost all students are comfortable with number and operations and algebra.
- Are there areas or topics you are not confident in teaching?
Many students are not comfortable with proof, geometry, trigonometry and calculus. Many students don't know what "communication" and "connections" refer to.
- Which principles of mathematics education are you most familiar with?
Most students are familiar with assessment. learning, curriculum and teaching.
- Which principles of mathematics education would you like to learn more about?
Many students chose technology. Equity, curriculum, teaching, and assessment also appeared more than once each.
- What knowledge and experience do you hope to gain from this class?
- Tailoring teaching strategies for diverse learning styles.
- New developments in teaching methods.
- Techniques for engaging students with the material.
- Incorporating technology into the classroom.
- Different methods of assessment.
- Techniques for maintaining classroom discipline.
- Teaching without lecturing.
- Which topics are most useful to students?
- Knowing how to teach math, as it differs from knowing math.