Return to Course index
Course: CT 497 Seminar in Theatre, Dance, and Speech
Focus questions: National Standards for Arts Education (for 3/1/99)
Readings: National Standards for Arts Education: "What every young American should know and be able to do in the arts."
- What are the values of the arts, as discussed in the Introduction?
- Why do we need the Standards, according to the Introduction?
- What percentage of time at the elementary and middle school grade level should be devoted to serious study of the arts?
- What should students know and be able to do in the arts by the time they’ve completed secondary school?
- Review one grade level content and achievement standard in both theatre and dance:
- Summarize the major components.
- Discuss your sense of the appropriateness of what is required, and the barriers and opportunities that may exist regarding their achievement.
- Discuss how you might implement two achievement standards for one discipline at one grade level.